Saturday, March 14, 2009

3/11/09

I created the poster (pictured on the left) for the screening. Raphael was supposed to create one, but he didn't know how to use Photoshop. I don't know why we were asked to make one (it's probably for the film screening where everyone can watch the film class' films). Ours was not shown to the class during the screening (even if it were shown, as others were, the poster would be of no significance). But I created one anyway.

The other groups' films were okay. I particularly liked the editing in Adrian Wan's' film and the classical noir style that Henry's Moulin Rogue-inspired film managed to evoke. But I was disappointed because there were shifts in background noise in between cuts for every one of the films. But sound effects were present in all of the films. This meant sound editors thought all they had to do was to search for sound effects and provide the editors with them. They possibly did not think of using Final Cut Pro to edit the dialogue. Because of this, editors would end up editing the audio of the dialogue, or just ignore the audio altogether and only work on the cutting. I think this problem should be addressed.

I wasn't fond or impressed by the film I directed. Sinclair, who played Cop 38, said the pace was too slow. I asked him whether he didn't like slow pacing in general or if the film was inappropriately slow. He replied the latter. Feedback on the 16th. I'll find out what's wrong with the film.

Throughout the process of filming and editing, I constantly wondered if I was doing a good job of directing. I planned a lot of things and I constantly reminded my group members to execute what they were supposed to do. But I was always the one working on every aspect of the film at the end. I was really disappointed; I didn't know if I was doing a bad job or not. It was either bad director or lazy people or a bit of both. If I fell under the bad director category, then really I don't know what I did wrong. Incompetence was also a factor. I wish I could teach everyone about sound, graphic, and visual editing. But I couldn't be everywhere at the same time. So I had to do what other people were supposed to do. Stating this leads to a question: How was I to know if one would really work hard if I were to allow one to do what he was supposed to do?

- If I did allow one to do what he was supposed to do and the person were lazy, then he would end up doing nothing and I would have to swoop down and do everything for the person last minute.

- If I did allow one to do what he was supposed to do and the person were incompetent, then I would teach him/her until he/she is competent enough. I would then help out at times. But I didn't end up teaching everyone everything.

While I taught Hannah about editing in Final Cut Pro, I wasn't able to teach Raphael about sound-editing. I knew that he was incompetent and lazy (being brutally frank does not make me feel good in anyway), so I started working on the sounds at the start of the production. And I got what I deserved: I got criticized because I stole his role. But if I don't...refer to my first bullet point. I could have given him a chance, but I was minimizing the risks of working last minute. I regret it, but it's for the greater good. Throughout this project, I found it hard to completely trust people, as most of them didn't carry out what I told them to do. (In an attempt to rationalize things,) This does not necessarily mean that I was a bad director. I planned things, I taught people, I told people to do what they were supposed to do. But it really depends on whether they listen and cooperate or not.

Until people finally agree to work hard, until people realize that effort and teamwork are the most important factors, I am not excited for the upcoming projects. I am left bitter and perhaps a little misanthropic. Uh-oh, a film-noir character is in the making.

2 comments:

  1. Ditto on the comments about not trusting others with the stuff - thats basically what i ended up doing. Itd be interesting to collab with you neh? I wonder how itd turn out.

    How do you use fcp to edit dialogue? You mean you can cut out the white noise in andy's vos?

    thanks for your comment =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, you guys. I think it is wonderful that you are so committed and passionate about what you do; and Jeff, I would hate it if you are left bitter and jaded by something that you are so good at. Working in a team, especially a SMALL team is never going to be easy but part of what you learn in school, and throughout life,is how to negociate these relationships. I think you both did a good job in the last task maintaining control whilst mentoring your peers. I know this was not easy for either of you.

    For the next task, neither of you will be directors, so I would really like you to concentrate on learning and mentoring. Get to know your new roles inside and out, create opportunities for yourself. But at the same time, guide your peers -- help them to be as interested and knowledgable as you.

    ReplyDelete