Monday, March 16, 2009

3/16/09

Okay, so I got over the fact that we were put into groups pick-from-the-hat style. I am sure that I am able to work with my new team members, although we did experience a double period worth of awkwardness. Both Louise and Andy are in my science and PE class, and Andy is a friend of mine - not so bad after all. Ella, on the other hand, used to be my friend. I found it extremely awkward to be in the same group with her today. Worse thing's that I will have to be present for every editing session to educate her about Final Cut Pro in the almost immediate future. Three words: worst case scenario.

I wasn't too happy when I was assigned the role of sound editor (and producer). But to hell with that, I will contribute to the group in every way, despite starting off awkwardly and unproductively. I'm going to present a bunch of ideas on Wednesday for Louise - the screenwriter-director - and hopefully, elements of my screenplay will be incorporated into hers. I will also assume an "alpha position" if anyone were unable to carry out their jobs. Cynically speaking, this means that I will be stealing their roles. But I'll do what's necessary to keep everything in check.

Right now, ideas are forming: I have several ideas - dolly zooms, reverse shots, fast forwarded shots, freeze frames and "B-footage". As for editing, I'm trying to think of the weirdest ways to string the clips together (this "weird thing" also applies to the cinematography). As of now, this is a major inspiration (film's called Brick; I want to watch it):



Take a look at 0:35 to 0:40. The shot is innovative and the effect impressive. This is of course heightened by the editing: a cut from a long shot (involving a fast forwarded dolly zoom) to a medium shot.


Another one of the inspirations is the opening sequence of City of God. As shown from 4:08 to 4:15, the protagonist is smoothly and cleverly transited to the past:



And another one of the inspirations, which is the opening scene of Narc, depicting an intense foot chase:



Everything - the sound, the cinematography, the editing - makes the scene extraordinarily well done.

I showed these videos to my group for them to be inspired.
A job as a producer is more important for the moment. Sound editing can wait.

2 comments:

  1. wow Jeff. *ish impressed*.

    How do you find these clips anyway?
    (relax. rhetoric.)

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased to see that you have chosen to rise to the challenge instead of lurking inthe shadows. Those are great examples. The opening of 'Narc' is one of the most powerful opening sequences made in recent years, I think.

    I'm not suggesting that you guys do anything that might hurt yourselves but you should check out some of the parcour videos on youtube too. And remember this is not just a chase scene, the PORTALS play an integral part.

    ReplyDelete