Tuesday, February 3, 2009

2/2/09

We were engaged in the "Scavenger Hunt" activity to recapitulate our cinematography skills in the first lesson of film. Teaming up with Julien, Hannah and Camille, we mostly filmed in the cafeteria and the seventh floor. I spent quite a lot of time to set up the shots but realized that I had to shake off my perfectionistic approach, so I either a) filmed it thinking this was just an exercise and nothing much or b) let someone else shoot (as we were working as a team, rotating roles as actors and cinematographers for each shot). When I was filming, I preferred to shoot in a more dynamic way, which meant that all of the footage that I shot were done without a tripod. So, I filmed a tracking shot (inspired by the steadicam shot in Magnolia; YouTube clip below), a contrazoom shot (not sure if it's the correct term), and the shot which showed a gritty, documentary feel (inspired by The Office and Battlestar Galactica).



If the DV camcorder were wide enough in terms of focal length, then I would be satisfied, but again, this was a just-get-it-done-and-forget-about-it recap exercise (not that it was an insignificant exercise), so I was satisfied with the footage that we've got.

We'll be recording the sound effects on wednesday and of course, import everything into Final Cut Pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment