Monday, February 16, 2009

2/16/09

I thought our homework on continuity editing would be shown one by one to the class, but it seemed that I was wrong. Instead, we were introduced to film-noir today following an activity which jogged our memory of various editing techniques. I was quite familiar with the characteristics of film-noir, but I haven't seen old film-noirs before, such as Double Indemnity. My favorite neo-noir at the moment is Roman Polanski's Chinatown, a film set in 1930's Los Angeles. Heat was also one of my favorite movies (as seen in my profile). As for Hong Kong movies, my favorite crime drama films are Johnnie To's Election and Triad Election (which is basically Election 2). I have yet watch Infernal Affairs for the second time; I don't really remember much about it apart from the plot.

As we were introduced to film-noir, we formed groups for the Critereon B assignment in which we have to create a film-noir film. I took up the role of director/screenwriter, Julien was in charge of cinematography, Chris lighting, Hannah editing, and Raphael sound.

As a director, I will have to supervise everyone in my group. This means teaching people what I know and directing them to conduct research in specific areas. Since I've never had any experience on lighting, I will conduct research on lighting first, and then give Chris (who's in charge of lighting) links which are useful for him in understanding lighting. Of course, Chris does not simply wait for me to give him links, I also told him to undergo research by himself to attain knowledge.

Communication is the most important element when it comes to working in a group. I intend to give everyone equal say in deciding things, and I also intend to have the group work together at all times, as opposed to individuals working at home without really communicating with other members. I have chosen to become a director because I know that I'm more experienced in film-making, so it is my job to supervise and educate people, while learning more about aspects that I'm not familiar with myself.

However, there is a fine line to walk on, and that line separates supervision and actually controlling every aspect of the film. I have made the mistake of controlling every aspect of film-making last year and I have to say that it was not a pleasant experience to boss people around. So this time, I will help people and at the same time and adjust what they have in mind if necessary for improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment