Saturday, May 30, 2009

5/25/09 - 5/27/09

I wanted a group comprised of Henry, Andy and Adrian but it turned out that they were all directors/screenwriters so that was pretty much it. Teaming up with Julien, Hannah and Raphael again, we formed the "Film Reunion Production" group. To be frank, there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm or initiative taken by certain group members when making Plunge so I hope it would be otherwise in this last project.

Out of the three stages, pre-production is the most difficult one. There are just so many things to put together in such a short time. On Monday, we planned to ask for two adult actors to star in our film - Julien's mom and her actor friend. Julien's mom pretty much agreed to act, but her friend Terrence had to be contacted. But then it turned out that Julien's mom was leaving for Germany on Wednesday. Contacting Terrence was out of the equation since Julien's mom couldn't act for us, so we needed to find new actors. Hannah approached Charles and Julien approached Valerie and they agreed to star in our film - we were very lucky. I talked to Valerie and she said she was only free next week on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. As for Charles... I don't know Charles but right now I'm trying to get Hannah (who knows him) to ask him the times in which he's free to record voiceovers and act for us.


We have all the locations figured out. All except for the scenes set in the apartment and on the street. I wanted a street which looks stylish (i.e. neon lights) and well-lit but not crowded with people at the same time. Also, the street can't be too noisy or we'll have a hard time trying to record the dialogue. We could change the location, but what are the alternatives? All these limitations. Another location that couldn't be figured out: an apartment. Well, any can do. We just have to light it so that it looks good in a Wong Kar Wai way.


As of Saturday, I've opened a thread on Facebook to communicate with my team members. I've suggested a couple of songs for the montage (one of which is Save Me by Aimee Mann), but none of my group members seemed to like it. I suggested for alternatives, but I'm still waiting for reponses that focus more on the suggestions instead of the criticisms of the song. The slow response has been really bugging me, especially when Raphael is the sound editor and he's not replying to my thread, with only Julien and Hannah were replying to my suggestions. And they didn't really like it. Ugh.

We had the filming dates secured: next week's Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately, Hannah has organized a junk trip for Sunday. I'm not attending the junk trip, just in case we have to film. So is two filming days sufficient? Probably not. But that's all the time we've got. Compared to all the other groups, ours is making the least progress.

2 comments:

  1. Wait. I thought you WANTED to work with your old group...

    I agree with the others about the Aimee Mann song though -- I can't stop thinking of 'Magnolia' when I think of it. For music, I think you need to think very carefully. There is a real chance here to choose something very special and unexpected. I am thinking Jacques Brel's 'Ne me quitte pas'. Or 1980s Anita Mui. A lot of the Cantopop songs those days were written by Japanese musicians. Or Caetano Veloso. One of my favourite songs in the world is Veloso's recording of 'Currucucu paloma'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and Elton John's 'Rocket Man'!

    ReplyDelete